Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Doing something that makes you uncomfortable

Sometimes good, sometimes it's your body's way of telling you to get the truck out o' there or your ass will be grass. Often times it's some sort of unfounded fear, or maybe something that makes sense, but not to the extent that you are afraid of it. Spiders for instance, I am afraid of spiders. I used to have a phobia of spiders, but then I tried to think of it from the spider's perspective and now it's a rather small fear. I'm also afraid of heights and fear itself. It's easier than you think to get less afraid of something. Small steps is the key, most people seem to think you should just go at it all in one go. Horrible idea, if you fail it will make it even harder to achieve it next time.

So, back to spiders, I've been afraid of spiders pretty much my whole life and gradually that fear manifested itself into a phobia, as in 'OMG a spider, must go running out of room screaming now' kind of phobia. Today I picked up a spider four times. I'm quite excited and proud of myself. However, it was just a daddy long legs, dunno if you guys have them in other countries, but they're completely harmless and look pretty ridiculous.

G Daddy
I called him G Daddy because it just seemed to fit him.

So picking up Mr. G Daddy was all part of the plan.

How I did this is I thought about it from the spiders perspective. If I were a spider, why would I bite someone? Because they were in my territory? They were messin' with ma young. Just firkin' felt like it. Also, I realized that even if I was helping it, it wouldn't realize and would assume I was stealing his territory (my bathroom) for myself. Now, I didn't want to point out to G Daddy that I owned that bathroom and all my smelly soap things were proof of that, I was like "Aye, we can share, right?" And I had to decide what was more important, taking a shower and killing my new friend or getting over my stupid fear and picking him up and putting him somewhere safe.

There were of course steps before this, but that was mainly thinking in the spider's perspective and being alright with them living in my bathroom.

However, after the initial picking up of said spidey, G Daddy decided he didn't want to be on the safe end of the shower, he's rather use some sort of magic spider tricks and somehow get past the spray of water and to the other side of the shower that was very wet. I'm suspecting that G Daddy is two different spiders, but I've only seen one daddy long legs in my bathroom...creepy. Anywho, so I had to shut off the shower, pick G Daddy up and put him back on the safe side of the shower. G Daddy was not happy with my choice of place for him to sit, so he started to try to climb up the wet tiles on the wall, which he was very unsuccessful at, but he sure didn't give up quick. So I picked him up, again, and placed him on the shelves so he could get to the top corner and make a web of some shape (<-- what I deduced he was trying to do from my previous steps ^^) and then his leg got stuck on the glass shelves, but I decided I had done enough and I wasn't tall enough to get him any higher, I was also getting too freaked out to touch him again. Point of the story, don't give up unless your getting too freaked out that the next time you try to do it you'll have some sort of crazy panic attack, and then just realize that there is nothing more you can do that will be of any help to G Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment